My schedule has been a bit off. Tonight I finally got my weekly groceries, yes, it is Tuesday! However, it felt great I could have walked out the door with under $20 this week. However, seeing some yogurt on sale put me over. Dang! But I am so excited to report that I will be comparing some very interesting yogurt this week. After reading some more from Iowa Girl Eats I have been inspired to try some Greek Yogurt, Atheno or Chobani, which is better, worth the extra money. Nobody knows, until Friday when I will of course report back. J Along with grocery shopping today I realized that the hardest food to find is…raisins. Yes, I swear that in every store they have them in a different spot. After searching for nearly 10 min. going in circles I broke down and asked a nice Hy-Vee man, near the produce, by all the dried fruit. Who would have guessed? Although now it makes complete sense to me I must admit.
Now that I have my kitchen stocked I can cook. I made my breakfast for the week which is…Ham and Cheese Frittata. It was a bit interesting to make but tons of fun.
Ham and Cheese Frittata
· 3 whole eggs
· 3 egg whites
· ½ c. cooked small pasta
· Cubed Ham-maybe a ½ - ¾ cup
· 1 small head of broccoli- steamed
· 1 small tomato
· Dash Salt and Pepper
· Dashes of hot sauce
Combine eggs, S & P , hot sauce in a bowl. Next cut up and add Steamed broccoli, tomato, ham, and cooked small pasta. Add all together in a greased skillet. Stir a bit and cook on a medium low heat. **be sure to be patient do not stir it as if you are making scrambled eggs, simply allow the low heat to cook through the eggs. When it is cooked add some Colby Jack cheese to the top and enjoy!
Now all of this seems very easy however a bit time consuming considering the small pasta that has become a favorite of mine to cook with, Acini Di Pepe, takes a very long time to come to a boil and cook, but still fun and interesting.
Next despite my mother’s best efforts to teach me all her cooking skills I do not believe she has ever taught me how to steam vegetables. So I had to make due. Check out this amazing skill. I took advantage of the steam that would be coming from the noodles, and put the broccoli in another metal pan with a small amount of water and a lid. Thus time to steam away.
Add to it a pan of steamed broccoli on top...
= homemade steamer!
When this crazy idea actually worked I did my happy dance in the kitchen and sang a little happy song. This caused my roommate to become curious. I informed her that I was a genius and pretty amazing. She proceeded to go to the pots and pans cupboard and pull out this…
A Steamer! Yup we had one all along. Oh well it was entertaining to make the contraption and I am now a better, skilled cook for it. J
I also learned that you should put a lid on the skillet to help cook the top of the eggs a bit more. Also when the eggs are nearly cooked turn off the heat and let it set on the hot coil with the lid on. The eggs will continue to cook themselves and have a perfect finish. I was a bit worried about this dish, I’m not going to lie, but I just tasted it and… not bad. I should have more hot sauce or add some chili powder, but I like it spicy, always do. Well, until Friday when the votes will be in. Chobani or Atheno…who knows!
No comments:
Post a Comment