After waking up all week at 6:00 my body had no trouble telling me what to do on this last summer Saturday. You guessed it, I was wide awake! So far the early mornings have been no problem simply because I am so excited to get in the car, listen to music and pray for a half hour, only to arrive greeted by friendly, smiling faces and a name plate that lets me know, I’m home. However, a funny story for everyone that shares the name, I have figured out peoples strategy for the tricky (however I’ve never found it to be tricky) spelling, switch it up then you will be right half the time. This was the second attempt the first time it was spelled with an “s”.
I feel a bit more prepared for school to start. When I left NW Iowa on Aug. 9 it took a bit for me to decide if it was really worth it. The nerves were setting in and I had no clue where to begin this giant task of starting a career. Of course I started with the easy, decorating my classroom! Put up pictures, make bulletin boards, organize filing cabinets.
My classroom was originally set up for two teachers to be teaching at the same time. That cannot happen, so now it is all mine. There are two white boards and two teacher desks, one for me and one for my Para Educator. Also a little weird, I am now in charge of a very nice lady who has been aiding teachers for over twenty years, and I am suppose to tell her what needs to be done. She is a wonderful lady and I am so happy to have her help. As of Friday I have 14 students that need special services. I will be providing those services while co-teaching with the other 8th grade teachers. The 8th grade team consists of six other women who are WONDERFUL! Each is very different and each very helpful for this new newbie! I now have five other places to stay in the winter.
Contract hours started last week Monday with new teacher orientation. Webster City Community School District is proud to announce we have 18 new teachers hired. Budget cuts, I don’t think so! The school is so blessed and so highly regarded by the surrounding area and other professionals, I feel I have huge shoes to fill. Followed by a week full of work time and Friday with district meetings. I know what your thinking, meetings, meetings, meetings that poor girl. Nope. The meetings were great. The positive attitudes that are exhibited by everybody and the support the school receives from the community makes going to these meetings a pleasure. They also feed us like kings, diet...might be difficult this year.
Monday will consist of more meetings and Open House! To meet my students and have the school buzzing with children will probably be the main contributor for no sleep on Monday night.
School starts on Tuesday, August 24 at 8:16! August 24, had commonly been referred to as D-day. Now, it’s the day I was born for, the first day to make a difference in a child’s life. The first day to be a different kind of teacher than what they are use to. A teacher who cares! I will also have the pleasure of helping with Middle School Cross Country. I do not have a coaching certificate but we have a huge number of students in 7th & 8th grade cross country so they have enlisted the help of others. However, the coaching certificate might be right around the corner.
While I am very much in a stage of teaching known as "the fantasy stage", I am sure I will soon be moving to "the survival stage", probably around 8:30 a.m on Tuesday morning. With that being said prayers are always welcome.
Welcome to Fort Dodge! Aside from room 217 this is my primary residence. Fort Dodge is known for its slightly shady area, however, I am please to say we live on a very nice side of town, northeast corner, near all the necessities, Walmart, Target, Hy-Vee and the Mall.
I live with my old college roommate and best friend, Kristin Brodie, who I also refer to as Brodie just for future reference. She is also a first year teacher at St. Edmond High School in Fort Dodge. This is a Catholic school where she teaches high school science and coaches 8th grade volleyball.
We are also happy to say after searching for a few churches we have found one that has hit the top of the list. The search may still continue, however, we can happily say we like attending New Covenant Christian Church of Fort Dodge.
We cannot have pets at this rental so instead of a pet we have a plant. Remember I live with a science teacher so it is not any regular plant, it is a sensitive plant who we named Mike. Mike is technically classified as a Mimosa Pudica. Check them out its pretty cool and nearly fool proof to keep alive.
Now that we know Mike will be alive for the next post, lets hope the same can be said for myself. First week of school, here I come!
Now that we know Mike will be alive for the next post, lets hope the same can be said for myself. First week of school, here I come!
“When you have come to the edge of all life that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, Faith is knowing One of Two things will happen. There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly. “ —
Patrick Overton

No comments:
Post a Comment