The last post was getting a bit long. I didn’t even touch on the teaching part of my life (the biggest part!) We had a field trip on Wednesday and Friday. Although both academic, it really disrupts our usual learning schedule. Wednesday was nearly considered a disaster. Luckily the “field trip” was to the high school to preview the play that the community gets to see this weekend. So the whole middle school got on buses and made the trip over. All teachers and administrators were there. Thank God, because the kids, our 8th graders, thought they were above every law! Anyways we survived, and we laugh about it now.
So this made me very scared for our trip to Des Moines, which was scheduled for Friday. We were going to see a production at the Civic Center called “Letters Home”. Departure 10 am, arrive home 3:45pm. This was going to be a long day, or so I thought. The kids did great. After taking away some gum (not allowed for a middle school student to chew gum on middle school time) and forcing kids to put all electronic devices in their locker, the day got much better. The kids talked and played games all the way down. The major “trouble makers” decided to sleep during the play, but caused no problems so…I let them, until the one next to me started to snore, I had to do something then. J
The play was amazing. It was all letters from various branches of military from the War in Iraq and Afghanistan. It was pretty powerful and with Veterans Day next week Thursday had great timing!
The ride home the kids had their naps and were a little louder, but not misbehaving. One student told me earlier in the week she had a dream that on our field trip I was singing and dancing on the bus, the music stopped and I kept singing. She thought it was hilarious. She is also a really great student so I found it funny too. So when we were riding back she decided to sit by me! I told her, her dream would come true if the song “Dynamite” came on. It’s my song! 10 miles from home, the song came on. I sang my heart out and did some seated dancing (no standing on the bus) The kids loved it and asked me to share some of my actual dance moves next week in class. Hmm..hopefully they will forget by Monday.
“Dance like no one is watching” or dance like 65 eight graders are watching either way, Dance the days away!
No comments:
Post a Comment