A vocabulary word for the story we are reading could not be better suited to describe my own life. Why is it when it rains it pours? AND Why when it is pouring do I finally decide that now is the time to become even more of a perfectionist/ crazy person than I usual am? All questions that I do not have the answers to.
A few acronyms you should really be educated on prior to this blog. Two that are currently dictating my life...ITBS and IEP. If you are from Iowa and even if you are not you should know that ITBS is Iowa Test of Basic Skills and as for IEP only a special education teacher really knows that means Individualized Education Plan...aka documentation, documentation, documentation. Filled with RIT scores, trajectories, baselines, progress monitoring and a lot of other things that take time but are why I became a special education teacher. They keep us organized and inform the rest of the education wold what needs these special education students have and what they can/ need to do to help them be successful. So while it is time consuming and I have two to do this month on top of the three week process of ITBS I am happy to do it. It's my job, I love my job, and I am very thankful for this job.
Now on to the ITBS. Yes, the always dreaded but very important test that determines....well everything! This year we have incorporated several things in order to ensure that our students succeed. For instance, we have a morning walk around the school;, up, down, and around all to the steady cadence of Gonna Fly Now! Oh yeah, is there really any other way to get pumped up. However, I must say we really do need to educate our students, one asked me today, "what are they playing?" I couldn't hold back an eye roll with a "Rocky Balboa, Gonna Fly Now?!?!" and a few jabs in proper boxing form of course. Then we get back to my classroom to see this........
Bottled water with students names as well as an encouraging note from...Ms. R. Testing booklets and "magic bags" filled with mints, cream savers, a breakfast treat, pencils and a special eraser. Did you know that you can improve test scores by a significant percent just by using these "special erasers" (white art room erasers). We do and now we use them. You might be thinking to yourself, "why would the student's use those 'speical erasers' when they have one on their pencil" Because...we cut them off. Yep that is right, all of the #2 pencils in this "magic bag" have erasers cut off! Thanks to our wonderful assistant principal. Oh we are going the extra mile for scores this year! Then the students can always look around and see some painted encouragement, "Weakness of Attitude becomes Weakness of Character" Albert Einstein. AND...
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are Powerful beyond measure." A quote from the movie Coach Carter, our inspirational film that we showed last week to gear up for our own big game! The kids really like this one. They call it my graffiti. Yes, we had a mini lesson on what the word inadequate means, now they really like the quote!
With day 1 officially done, ITBS is in full bloom and I feel very successful. At least in room 217!
Now back to the pouring part, right?!?!? Well, I stumbled upon a new job! I know, I know what you are thinking, but you have a full-time job teaching! It's true, however, this job is an every other weekend and maybe one night a week, only in a blue moon, at a bridal store. Yaya! I'm back working with wonderful ladies and beautiful dresses. It is literally right down the street too.
Next!
4. 3-2-1
Those numbers mean nothing to you. But to me it means my butt is dragging by 1:30 in the afternoon. Yes, the 4 is for 4:00 am, the alarm. 3-2-1 is the interval workout that kicked my butt this morning and will again tomorrow. I decided I have been in a bad mood and there is no way out of it but for some "me time". I am far too exhausted after work at 5:00 to spend some time at the gym, plus the body building men are really getting on my last nerve. So, at 4:30 when I actually get to the gym, is the perfect time. Also, just so you all know I am not the only crazy woman in the world. There was one other lady who was right beside me. New best friend.??? we will see. (ps don't worry mom, bed time is now 8/8:30, I'm still getting plenty of sleep, yes dad I do now see that there are two 4 o'clocks in a day, you were right!)
You might be saying where is all this motivation coming from. Well I have been feeling a sense of being highly inadequate in my life. Thus, all the crazy to try to do more, make a difference, for myself and my kiddos!
At 6:00 am I was feeling great by 6:00 pm it was another story. However,
"God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike." Acts 26:22
I can and will do it all again tomorrow! Hopefully making a difference in my life and theirs, with the help of and my only source of strength Happy almost hump day!
No comments:
Post a Comment