Sunday, February 20, 2011

A storm is brewing...in the kitchen!

The house is officially clean.  The meals are ready for the week.  This week is Homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowl and Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal.  I have never eaten at Chipotle and now I never need to.  This was very good.  Hot and refreshing a perfect combo of cilantro and jalapeno.
The Chipotle Burrito Bowl is put together in four simple steps. 
1. Rice
2. Beans
3. Chicken
4. Pico de Gallo

1. The Rice

Cook 1/2 cup brown rice according to package directions. When done, finish with:
  • Small pat of butter
  • Salt
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime
  • Sprinkle of chopped cilantro

2. The Beans

In a microwave safe bowl, heat up 1 can drained and rinsed black beans with:
  • Splash of chicken broth
  • Dashes of chili powder, cumin, oregano & cayenne pepper

3. The Chicken

Cook two chicken breasts in a skillet seasoned with:
  • Chili Powder
  • Garlic Salt
  • Onion Powder
  • Cumin
  • Oregano

4. The Pico

Whip up this easy Pico De Gallo with:
  • 1 tomato (plus some cherry tomatoes I had on hand)
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 small red onion
  • Sprinkle of chopped cilantro
  • S&P
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
After put together in a bowl or add to a tortilla shell and enjoy!

Then it was onto making the oatmeal.  All I can say is...delicious.  So sweet, and it feels like thanksgiving all over again.  This could be a new substitute for Pumpkin Pie...maybe not but a great breakfast food!

Baked Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • dashes of pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg & cinnamon
Topping mix:
  • ~2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
  • ~1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • ~1/2 teaspoon butter
The one thing I learned today.  Pumpkin Pie filling is different than Puree, I think that is why I have a little different taste to mine.  Solution, more brown sugar topping.  :) Healthy not so much, tasty...yes!

Cooked, cleaned and reay for the week.  Let's just see how nice mother nature is tomorrow, rain, snow or ice...what is your guess????

No comments:

Post a Comment