Saturday, April 9, 2011

Love

When I started this journey five years ago, to find a job that would be full of purpose I knew that working with kids was where I needed to be.  They are the future and some of them do have it pretty tough. 

Like yesterday, when a student was just not their usual self  I tried and tried to get the problem out but had no success.  So despite the fact that I had no clue what was wrong I went into "Love Mode".  I managed one, half smile. :)  You can see it in a lot of our kids this week, that something else is on  their mind more than school work.  This may be partially due to Electrolux closing it's doors last week and another business this week.  These families and the town have some changes in store and for many of my middle school students they are old enough to know that it could get bad. 

This brings me to what helped put the wheels in motion for my new challenge.  I have been far too focused on poor old me.  Who cares, sob story is over, move on.  I have a message hanging near my desk that I got from another blogger.  It goes as follows;

So...how do I wait actively?   Other than running and get my mind off of me.  I now present to you...
When I was in Michigan I noticed my friend had the movie "Fireproof"  and the book The Love Dare. I have seen the movie and enjoyed it and knew what the love dare was.  I was so amazed that he had this book, since it is primarily written towards married couples.  **Side note-This is also the main reason I love each of my friends, they encourage me to be a better person and they don't even know it!**  So, I have taken the challenge/ dare.  All week I have been taking what I read in the book and been applying it to my job.  I don't have a spouse but I have 165, 8th grade students that could use some major love!  Everyday opportunity after opportunity have come about to put this dare into motion.  By the end of this school year the 40 days will be up.  No matter how this job things turns out I will have done everything I can, loved unconditionally and worked my butt off, what happens while I wait is up to God.  And now after some reflecting and time with very important/ influential people in my life I can say with confidence,  I am not worrying about the details or the next step. 

Life is God's novel.  Let him write it.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

No comments:

Post a Comment