Monday, May 9, 2011

Do You Tri?

I Do!
I thought it would be a lot worse than what it was.  On Saturday I participated in the 5th Annual Siouxperman Triathlon.  I did this for the first time last year and really enjoyed it.  However, a few things were different such as; I had a partner, my cousin, I was not working full-time, I had more energy to train because I was scared to death of dying, and I feel like the weather was much warmer prior to the race.  All those elements combined helped me to be a lot more trained last year compared to this year.  Really those are just a bunch of excuses.  I could have, if I really wanted to, trained just as much.  I just thought the biking, my least favorite part, couldn't get much worse than the 20mph. winds last year and it would all be a easy.  WRONG! 

Pre race and set-up.
 I had to wait around FOREVER to start the swim.  Note to self...do not round up to give yourself some extra room in the swim.  Always round down, everyone guesses on their swim time, which is how they place you in the start line-up.  I will always place my 300yd swim time at 6min. 15 sec. as opposed to the very rounded up 8min. 10sec. estimated time for this year.  Just to let you know how long my nerves got the best of me, the first swimmer entered the pool #1 at 9:00.  I #275 entered the pool at 11:03.  Those are some hours to get even more nervous than before...and hungry!  I ate a light breakfast in hopes to just fuel up on liquids and gels, nope cereal was long gone before the race even started. 
Then onto the biking...
Biking is still my least favorite part and I have decided that it is not so much about conditioning your legs to keep on pumping, but rather your butt, to keep on riding.  It was killing me I didn't think I would  be able to walk, let alone run when I pryed my butt from the seat.  The wind was awful going out but a breeze to come in on.  As my ipod was playing some very inspirational Selah, a beacon of hope yelled from the other side of the road, "it gets easier at the turn around" thank God for her, I had half a mind to quit a few minuets prior. 
After that the run...
I managed to regain my footing and fought with the girl next to me to get our bikes back in the transition area and it was off to the run.  It hurt for a bit but after the first 200yds, it all comes back to you.  The rhythm, the position, the pace, the pounding of the pavement and my mind went mush.  A truck could have hit me and I wouldn't have known it.  For a bit your mind just goes somewhere else and that is the secret to these long competitions.  :)
I would love to tell you I beat my time and improved a ton!  But that would be a lie.  I added to my time last year by 1min. 22sec.  Not to bad for only exercising three months prior as opposed to training five months prior last year.  The total time was 1hr. 45 min. 32sec.  My goal for the day was 1hr. 45min.  I'm going to count it all as a success. 

Post race, still smiling!
The best part about it all was I realized I need to get into this training for the half marathon.  I cannot just go out and do it in July.  I really, really need to start getting my mind into it and after having the thrill of the competition this weekend, I can do it!

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strengthens." Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment