Monday, June 24, 2013

The pages are turning, whether we are ready to read the next page or not...

The time has come.  The inevitable that I cannot stop. 
I think back to when I went to college I was sad I was happy.  I was out on my own.  Freedom was finally mine!  After years of acting as if I was an adult the time had finally come.  Put on your big girl pants and show the world your determined face.  Thankfully when I went into this uncharted territory I managed to have some VERY awesome people enter my life.  People sometimes make comments about how much in debt I am due to choosing the private college that I attended, the truth is, I cannot imagine my life any other way.  I met so many people that I cannot live without today.  My education was priceless.  

I met a woman who I think the world of!  When we first met I was hanging out with her group of friends because I desperately needed someone in my life.  I love being alone and doing things my way, but I knew I wouldn't survive on my own in this world away from my family.  So I tagged along.  That is exactly what I felt like, a tag along.  I didn't really fit in but these people were fun!  I wanted to fit in and maybe if I tagged along enough, they would just accept me.  The awkward college freshman that I was.  :)

Well, about seven years later one of those people just couldn't shake me.  I tagged on very closely to her.  We were college roommates, we were post college roommates.  We are best friends and we have decided since God didn't give me a sister and she could use one more sister, that is what we are.  Sisters at heart.  Would do anything for, share anything with, be each others right arm if needed.  

For the past 5 years she has been my rock.  When I would freak out about life, she was there.  When I could have unbelievably great luck, she is who I shared it with,  When I hit walls, she was standing there ready to bandage my life back together with me.  She is so level headed, but also the life of every party.  She is brilliant.  She either knows the answer or she will find the answer.  She is organized and task oriented.  Put a task, or challenge in front of her and she will find a way.  

I guess that is why this is all happening.  (I make it sound like a bad thing.  It's really not.)  She is off to take on the world.  At lease a different part of it.  She will be off to Africa to work for the Peace Corps.  She leaves today to start the adventure.  I am very sad that she is leaving, but I am sooo excited to share her adventures through e-mails, blogs, face time, letters, and maybe even a trip for myself.  I can't wait to share what she is doing with the world and be able to say, that is my best friend out there.  People say you take on different characteristics of those you are around the most.  I won't be around her for the next two years, but I hope I can be just like her.  Being fearless, and legen...wait for it dary. :)  A little HIMYM humor, one of our favorite shows. 

Bottom line, lesson to be learned here.  I am so proud of her, she has taught me soo much.  I can't wait to see what God is going to teach her in Africa which in turn she will teach the rest of us.  I also can't wait to see how God is going to shape me and work in my life now that my rock is floating overseas.  These next two years will be a great chapter for her and me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment